Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Bunny love

Eldridge and his lady friend in a quiet moment
Seems like I've used the phrase "&@#$ing like bunnies" for most of my life, but I saw the real thing this evening and it surprised me. Shocked, almost.
I have a client who has some rabbits he's rescued from the coyotes; my previous experience with them was when they chewed through every single exposed cable in his office. This evening, however, I was cleaning a Trojan off his machine, and apparently the female was in heat.
Eldridge (the male, and in fact the demon bunny who chewed the cables) is an unstoppable love machine. He jumped on her every five minutes or so; didn't seem to notice at first which end he got (the end with the ears is the WRONG end, Eldridge!), and went at it so fast I thought I smelled smoke. Fifteen seconds or so later, he wandered off to get some water - but in a few minutes he was at it again. Once in a while his balance was uncertain, and she saw her opportunity and bucked him off like a rodeo bronc. He'd wander off, shake his head to clear it... and be back again in a few minutes. Who says chivalry is dead?

No comments: